Monday, December 14, 2009

sell out

This is an opportunity for you to showcase your creativity, draw on your personal experience and reflect on a socioeconomic issue that has personal meaning for you.

Oh wait. Don't be fooled. Not even a little. They don't really want to know. And you aren't supposed to want to tell them. This is the well-rehearsed dance everyone else seems to know the steps to.
Now, there's a metaphor that gets me.

The last few times I demonstrated creativity, or at the very least, works which didn't smart of cliches, weren't exactly rewarding. Original thoughts are too difficult for young, underpaid TAs to plod through. 95 well-thought out assignments? Ha, that would keep the TAs awake during those long lecture hours on static Philips curves and what-not.
Hell, I am no fan of Ayn Rand. Wasn't she asking everyone to conform to non-conformance - oh, with an anthem to boot? But, digressions apart, a younger me thought the learning process was about being encouraged to think. A few downright insulting grades later, I am no longer fresh-faced. No longer wide-eyed. Now, I am willing to do the dance.

So what should it be? The Jaipur Foot initiative? Aravind Eye Hospital? Micro-financing?
Oh, I've got a good one.
How about corporate social responsibility? Imagine the number of college-approved HBR articles I could reference in perfectly italicized, scrupulous APA citations.

It's another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment